Wednesday 23 November 2011

1.EFFECTIVE NOTE TAKING

The format my notes are taken down in resemble Cornel with part of the outline format and some of my own changes. I found that putting the date and the subject of the lecture at the top right corner of the page made finding the relevant notes easy for revision.

 I tend to use the Mind Mapping format when I am starting a new project or assignment, I find it very helpful with the layout of an assignment and I used one in planning the 'Reflective Writing Blog Assignment'.


We have to submit portfolios for both Plant Identification and Practical Horticulture, as part of the portfolios I have been taking photographs to support the written notes in the classes. In the Practical Horticulture class I have a small pocket notebook that I take with me and I take down any important Information in the class and photograph the work being done to add to the notes..


Some of the points on the 'Effective Note Taking' that I found helpful were; skimming notes on moodle before class was good preparation. Also that the lecture notes should not be the only notes you have,sometimes you need to look at a number of different sources to find good material. I filed my notes in file pockets inside a ring binder according to the subject.



Finally I noticed on page 5 of the moodle notes on 'Effective Note Taking' it says that 'Evidence exists which suggests that 30 minutes after a lecture - up to 50% of the content within may be forgotten', given that our Lectures are a full hour long and the classes are given concurrently I would suggest on reflection if the Classes were 50 minutes long it would give students 10 minutes between classes to organise their notes before the next Lecture.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Stuart, love the mind map. This is well written and informative

    ReplyDelete