Sunday 4 December 2011

4.EFFECTIVE PRESENTATIONS

Having done Presentations for Assignments and in-class work I have now got a feel for what they are like. In my opinion the most important element of the presentation is to know the material very well and to have the timing right by practising doing the presentation with the slides. Here are some examples of what my Presentations looked like.

Being nervous about giving my first presentation really made me think about any ideas that would help me in getting through the first one. I came to the conclusion early on that if I was going to speak about something I had a genuine Interest in, and at the same time something that the audience would be Interested In, it would make the whole thing a lot easier. So I chose the subject of 'Endangered Irish Plants' which I thought was safe to assume a horticulture class would find interesting.

In my research for the first Presentation for Personal & Professional Development I looked at a lot of videos of presentations on the Internet to get some tips and to get into the right frame of mind for giving the presentation. One of my favourite videos on the Internet is a TED talks video of Sir Ken Robinson speaking on the subject of Education. I think it shows very clearly that he is very knowledgeable and very passionate about what he is talking about and I think this makes it a great Presentation.



From my own personal perspective I found the first presentation to be very difficult but I was glad that I did and I found the next ones to be much less difficult which is a great relief.

1 comment:

  1. I find taking photographs of one's presentation to put onto a blog rather time consuming and quite awkward... On the other hand, I completely agree that one really must know a great amount of information about the topic in oder to present it well. In my opinion, There is nothing worse than getting up to do a presentation on something that you haven't a clue about and making a complete tool of yourself. One must conduct a comprehensive study on the topic in which they are going to present in order to get a true understanding of the subject.

    I have to admitt, I wasn't terrified when it came to the first presentation in Personal and Professional Development. I was nervous about the fact that I personaly knew I could have made a better effort in order to study and to actually create the presentation itself.

    I was very late in making up my mind about what my presentation was going to be about, I know you had the same problem, so therefore, we learnt what not to do in terms of forming a presentation.

    ReplyDelete