Sunday 4 December 2011

8.CONDUCTING LITERATURE REVIEW

When I went about conducting the Literature Review for personal and professional development the first thing I did was to go to the library to find some books for research. Because of the way in which the question was asked I couldn't figure out where to begin looking for answers. I looked in books on business, on marketing ,on communications on organisations and I could not find the answers.
I spent a lot of time on line searching but i couldn't even figure out which search terms to use. In the end I realised that the government might have carried out some research or reports on the subject so I went to the reference section of the library in Blanchardstown and I found what I was looking for. The Economic Social Research Institute had published a report 'Employment Practises in the Public and Private Sectors' which covered exactly the area that the literature review was about.



I continued to search for another source of reference material to use and I found the IBEC website with an up to date report published this year on the same subject. Now I had everything I needed to put together the literary review. I found that trying to fit all the relevant information that I found into the format of the report very confusing and the structure of the report made things even more complicated added to that the fact that I wasn't used to doing the table of contents. Somehow I managed to get the assignment in on time and I got a good mark too. Looking back now I could do the assignment in a fraction of the time and without too much difficulty. I wont be fazed the next time I have to do an assignment like this because we have covered everything in detail and I an confident I know what I am doing now.

2 comments:

  1. Very informative Stuart and some great advice for anyone doing future assignments, well done!!
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I no how you feel when it comes to looking and research information for reviews. well writen and a good insight to how you went about conducting your review. Jason

    ReplyDelete